Monday, November 6, 2023

Q&A with super fan Dave White

The 2023-24 college basketball season is right around the corner, and what better way to discuss Rutgers men's basketball than to do a Q&A with author and super fan Dave White.

Dave White is an award-winning author and an educator in the New Jersey Public School system. White previously attended Rutgers and has become a massive fan of the men's basketball program. He previously wrote columns and provided his post-game thoughts on Rutgers hoops for SB Nation's On The Banks. In 2021, White was elected to the inaugural class of the Rutgers Fan Hall of Fame.

Please check out Dave's work at davewhitebooks.com and you can follow him on Twitter @Dave_White.


Rutgers Hoops Insider (RHI): Dave, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to do this Q&A with me today, it really means a lot. Folks across Rutgers Nation should know by now, you are one of the biggest Rutgers basketball fans out there. Since you’re such a big Rutgers fan, you were voted into the inaugural class of the Rutgers Fan Hall of Fame in 2021. Can you recall a time when you first became a fan of Rutgers basketball? Did you become a fan of Rutgers basketball before you attended the college or while you attended?

Dave White (DW):  I became a fan my freshman year!  I grew up in a hoops family, my dad went to Duke for grad school and was a die hard.  So when I attended RU, I quickly started following the team, but it didn't really click until Geoff Billet beat Georgetown on a buzzer beater in the Big East Tournament.  We didn't have Twitter back then, but we had the internet and I saw the highlights there!

RHI: What are some of your favorite moments in Rutgers basketball history that you’ve witnessed as a fan?

DW: Beating UConn and Syracuse back to back in Gary Waters' first season was what sold me on getting season tickets. Herve Lamizana's bank shot to beat the Melo lead Orange a year later was awesome.  Quincy Douby's insane junior year when his floater was falling and it felt like he could pull up from anywhere. But my all-time favorite sporting event I've ever attended was the Ron Harper Jr. half court shot to beat #1 Purdue. Just an amazing moment and game.

RHI: I understand your eldest son is a Rutgers hoops fan as well. Can you speak on his behalf and tell us who his favorite Rutgers player is and why?

DW: Both of my sons are Rutgers fans!  The little one attended his first practice this year, and my oldest is a Geo Baker fan. My son started to catch on when Pikiell and crew started to turn the program around. And Geo was the face of that.  We've met Geo a handful of times and he is a great guy and a great player. My son loves him. This year he says he's going to focus on Noah Fernandes. The little one loves Cliff.

RHI: You were previously a writer for On The Banks (OTB), SB Nation’s Rutgers sports page, where you wrote columns sharing your Rutgers basketball post-game thoughts. I really enjoyed reading those columns because you provided a different perspective, sometimes different than what most fans were feeling after a big win or loss. Will we ever see you write something like that ever again?

DW: I've been tied up working on my-hopefully-seventh novel, but never say never!

RHI: Throughout the offseason we heard from analysts and sports writers how different this year’s Rutgers hoops team will be with many of their foundational players gone except for Cliff Omoruyi and Mawot Mag. They are expected to be deep in the backcourt with faster and quicker guards. Players at the wing right now are unproven but have serious potential and could develop into a threat for other teams. The frontcourt appears to be a major strength this year with the return of Omoruyi, one of the best centers in all of college basketball. With all of that being said, what expectations do you have of this team for the upcoming season? Which players are you looking forward to watching the most?

DW: My first expectation is always fun. I love close games! After the Eddie Jordan era, I will never take that for granted again. That said, I think this team has the potential to be very good. Pikiell teams usually end up on the bubble and I think this will be no different, but I think they will be a lot better in February than in November.  I can't wait to see Gavin Griffiths on the court and if he can really help the team roll.

RHI: There are a lot of unknowns about this team because there are so many new faces to the program. Do you think this team needs to find its own identity or establish its own identity? Typically, Rutgers is known for playing hard-nosed defense and grinding down their opponents. Do you see that style of basketball being played this year?

DW: I know they are fast, but Pikiell teams are always going to defend.  If they can turn the opposition over, they're going to run, but I don't think this team will not defend.  Pikes will have them defending.

RHI: Steve Pikiell and his coaching staff were busy in the offseason as they had to scour the transfer portal to find the right players that fit well in this program. They were able to secure commitments from transfers Noah Fernandes, Austin Williams, and Emmanuel Ogbole. Of the three transfers, which player do you think will make the biggest impact on the program this season? (Note: Jeremiah Williams committed in the offseason but is unlikely to see action this year due to pending waiver approval by the NCAA.)

DW: Fernandes is the starting point guard and has that grit Pikes loves, so I think he will really impact the team, but keep your eye on Austin Williams.  I think he has some bulldog in him too. Ogbole is hurt and may not be back until the new year.

RHI: There’s been a lot of praise for how well Derek Simpson and Antwone Woolkfolk have improved and developed in the offseason. Do you think these guys are poised to have a big season this year for Rutgers? What excites you the most about Derek Simpson? Antwone Woolfolk?

DW: Simpson is so fast and knows the system. He's primed to get moving and lead the squad.  And I think Woolfolk has the right build for this team. He can pass and get up and down the court. I'm interested to see if he also gets some time at the four.

RHI: Freshmen Gavin Griffiths and Jamichael Davis are expected to play big minutes this year. Each one of them brings a lot of upside to the team due to their unique skills and athleticism. I think non-conference play will present an opportunity for them to build and grow their confidence on the court but when conference play comes around things could get tough because the Big Ten has always been a tough, physical basketball conference. Do you think newcomers Gavin Griffiths and Jamichael Davis will adjust immediately to conference play? Or do you think they’ll go through some growing pains like most freshmen?

DW: Everyone goes through growing pains.  Look at Geo and Ron and Caleb.  Look at Simpson last year.  I imagine these two will be no different, but I look forward to watching them.

RHI: This year’s schedule is tough. Pikiell scheduled slightly more difficult than last year in the non-conference and the Big Ten did zero favors for Rutgers from January to February in conference play. How do you see Rutgers finishing in the non-conference portion of the schedule? How do you think Rutgers will do in the conference?

DW: Man, I don't jinx the team with predictions LOL.  I know that's a cop out.  Sorry!

RHI: Which games are you looking forward to the most in the non-conference schedule? Will you be in attendance for those games?

DW: I have season tickets so I'll be at the home games.  I'm really looking forward to Princeton tonight!

RHI: Which games are you looking forward to the most in the Big Ten schedule? Will you be in attendance for those games?

DW: The building is going to be rocking for that noon (or is it 1) Purdue game.  I'll be there.

RHI: I think Rutgers is going to have a solid season, and I think this roster is vastly underrated. I see Rutgers finishing 20-11 overall, 9-2 in the non-conference, and 11-9 in the Big Ten. In my opinion, I think Rutgers will lock up a double-digit seed in the NCAA Tournament, potentially playing in the First Four in Dayton. After it’s all said and done, where do you see Rutgers at the end of the season?

DW: Rutgers is going to be somewhere on the bubble I bet.  But that's as far as I go in terms of predictions.

RHI: Let’s say if Rutgers were to miss the NCAA Tournament this season and make the NIT a second year in a row, would you be disappointed?

DW: As long as they're fun, I'll be happy, but the NIT would be a disappointment, depending on how the season plays out.  Last year it was because we felt snubbed.  It all depends on the journey.

RHI: Dave, thanks again for doing this Q&A with me. Let’s do this again at some point during the season.

DW: Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment